What I'm Listening To...

Double Take Tuesday: When I See Jesus

Ask someone what's one of the songs that they always hear being sung as a solo either at their church or when they visit other churches, and When I See Jesus may be one that comes to mind. Still sung in many churches, this 80's classic is one of my faves. The lyrics speak of the anticipation of seeing Jesus in heaven, a day I personally can't wait for. The song was penned by Douglas Miller and recorded on his 1981 release Recorded Live: Douglas Miller and The Texas Southeast State Choir (COGIC) with Mattie Moss M. Clark. The album was released on the Pearl Record Company and was also apart of The John Daniels Gospel Series. The song isn't overpowered with heavy instrumentation, as you'll hear it's just the organ and piano which is great, but Miller could have sung this song acapella and still did this song justice (I don't know who's on piano and organ, but the musicians listed on the album playing keyboards are Douglas Miller, Twinkie Clark, and Burt Cross).

Many are aware of Miller's version but may have forgotten that Eric McDaniel, along with The Bronx Mass Choir recorded this as well. McDaniel's arrangement can be found on his 1985 debut release, He Gave It To Me, on the G.T.S. (Gospel Talent Sounds) Records label. Still holding true to the original, there are two distinct differences that can be heard on this arrangement, McDaniel's tenor voice is a lot crisper than Miller's and there's the addition of drums, My only complaint is that I was ready to have church after this, would have been nice if a praise break would have been included towards the end of this track being that it was a live recording.

Did you like the song or do you have any other comments to add, please feel free to add them below in the comment section.


What's To Come... Raising The Prayze, Ron Winans, and more.

P.S.

I combined Douglas Miller's recording of When I See Jesus Part 1 & Part 2 as one track. As always click on the album covers to listen to the songs mentioned. Also, I've added a link to the right of the blog that lists gospel albums I have. They're not all listed yet, but keep checking back to see what's updated. If you have a request or any suggestions let me know in the shoutbox or email me (click on the "write me" in my "About Me" section).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't hear the songs. I'm clicking on the the pictures but I don't hear anything.

Lilmama said...

Soory about that anonymous, I didn't get a chance to upload the songs yesterday, but they are up now so you should be able to listen to it without a problem. Thanks for visiting and I hope to see you back soon.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for putting the Eric McDaniel song up. I had this album years ago but let a friend borrow it and you know how that goes. Do you have a copy to sell because I've been looking for this. I'll email you with my email address.

Lilmama said...

You're welcome Curtis. I don't have a copy to sell, but try searching on Ebay, that's where I got mine.