What I'm Listening To...

Old School Throwback: Yolanda Adams

I guess I can go ahead and admit I'm a fan of Yolanda Adams' ministry...but not so much of her recent material overall. I don't know what it is, but personally her music/singing doesn't move me as much as it used to. Now Yolanda Adams back in the day was on fire...she brought something special to the track that just made it an instant classic and favorite. So I reached though my collection and pulled out a few oldies that haven't been heard in a while (which one also happens to be a favorite of mine) that feature Ms. Adams before she became so well known, hope that you all are blessed by them.



You Made The Difference
Southeast Inspirational Choir - 1987?
(click on album to listen)



Many remember Yolanda first making her mark on the radio singing lead on My Liberty which was recorded by Southeast Inspirational Choir (written by Carl Preacher) on their album, 10th Annual Praise And Rededication Concert, it was this song that made want to hear more from Yolanda even though I was just a little girl at the time (now I'm telling my age...lol). This song a perfect mix of that traditional gospel in the chorus, contemporary gospel (for that time) in the verse, and then the vamp had like a reggae theme to it. With all of that, there was Yolanda Adams' voice shining through.

Though I was too young to understand the lyrics of the song, now that I'm older, I can fully relate to it. There have so many times when I could in a different place than where I am now, but God brought me through so much that I can thank him for pulling me through it all and changing me for the better.



Edwin Hawkins Music and Arts Seminar Mass Choir
My Trust Lies In You - 1987
(click on album to listen)



I'm going to be straight up, I don't recall this song at all growing up for some reason, but after hearing so many people talk about this song, I had to listen to it. This song is from Edwin Hawkins' Music and Arts Seminar album recorded in Houston, TX. This V. Michael McKay (also a Houstonian :-) )song has Yolanda Adams and Lawrence Matthews (I think, gotta look at the album to double check) singing lead. I'm a big fan of V. Michael McKay's songs (don't be surprised if you see more on here..lol), so I shouldn't have been suprised that I would like this song. The lyrics, well what can I say, who else can you put your complete trust in but Jesus?


Have any comments, memories, anything just let me know by posting in the comment right below. God bless...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for old school Yolanda (U Landa). I first started listening to Yolanda back in da day so love some of these old school cuts too but Yolanda has always thrown a mix of traditional and contemp since she went solo. Be Blessed

Lilmama said...

You're very welcome Lzo and thanks for visiting. You're right Yolanda did throw in a bit a contemporary when she went solo and I liked it, but somewhere along the way her music wasn't the same. There were a few songs here and there I liked, but her albums overall since around 2000 not so much.

I'm all for artists developing over the years (Lord, knows I'm ready for something different from John P. Kee :-) ), but I wish she would release a better album tht goes back to her beginnings. When I'm more excited to pick up your greatest hits release versus your current release then that's a problem.

Unknown said...

OMG!! LilMama, I don't know how to THANK YOU! I am a gospel music fanatic, and I started my fanaticism in the late '80s. But I didn't start purchasing gospel music until after I started listening to it, so there are some songs that I wish I had in my collection now that are VERY difficult to find...and this recording by the Southeast Inspirational Choir is one such recording. So when I clicked on the album and hear Yolanda leading "You Made the Difference," I couldn't do anything but sit at my computer with tears streaming down my face!! Finding and hearing this song after so many years has made my soul truly happy. THANK YOU SO MUCH for having it here! I have ALL of YoYo's solo recordings, starting with "Just As I Am" produced by the late, great Thomas Whitfield. You will be hearing a lot more from me now that God has led me to your site!! (By the way, my name is Rodney Hobbs.)

OldSchoolDisney said...

Let me tell you something here! I first heard this song back in the 80's and I instantly fell in Love with The Edwin Hawkins Music and Arts Seminars! I bought the cassette( when it was available and thank God I did) and since then, I play the tape over and over and over. I know every song, every solo, and all the nuances that the solo's do! This has got to be, if not, the best Edwin Hawkins Music and Arts Seminar Mass Choir recordings ever! I SO wish I could have been there at the recording. I know countless churches today, that still include a song from this Album! If you bought this album, that is great for you; if you dont have this album, Im sorry but your missing out on a rich recording that I still listen to today!

Unknown said...

I could never make out the lyrics to this song's second chorus; can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

OMG...THANK YOU SO INCREDIBLY MUCH!!!! I have been searching forever for the song, "My Trust Lies In You" and haven't been able to find it anywhere. I love this song; it has ministered to me during a many of tests!! I just wish I could somehow copy it to my computer in order to burn it to a CD. But for right now, I'm soooo happy to be able to listen to it over and over again. Again, Thank You So Much!! God Bless and keep them ole' school gospel songs coming, pleeeeaassse!!

Truth in Love said...

THANK YOU...THANK YOU....THANK YOU! I have scoured the internet looking for this song "My Trust Lies in You" I had this cassette back in the day and rewound this song over and over. What a blessing to listen to this today! It has blessed my heart!